Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Altec 604E Center Channel Shielding

  1. #1
    Inactive Member WaldenProf's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have two 604E sspeakers that I have had for 26 years. They still sound great. I have moved to surround sound and use them as my front left and right main speakers. I use Klipsch speakers for my center channel and left and right rear speakers. I really want to buy an additional 604 to use as my center channel and replace the Klipsch. The question I have is: How do I solve the shielding issues?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alnico speakers have a low stray magnetic field, you may not have any trouble at all using them as they are.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    If you do, then go to a sheetmetal fabricator that has 10 ga cold rolled steel (CRS) and get a piece that's as wide as your TV and deep enough to extend past the TV's gun. That, or have them weld up a cab out of it. forums

    GM

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I have three 605A's across the front. The cabinets are Altec/Hillcraft only 30" high Carmel style. A total of 12 ft wide : 3' each side for the L & R speakers and a 6' center equipment cabinet with three 20" wide bays. The center bay now holds the center 605A. Many TVs, Monitors, Tape decks,Turntables, DVD/CD players sat on top of or inside of these. I have survived: Mono , Stereo , Quad , 5.1, Home Theater , with out a problem; magnetically that is ... ( my wife likes to keep the tops clear ).

    No worries, Enjoy
    Don

  5. #5
    Inactive Member WaldenProf's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the Info. The two 604E sprakers that I have now have to be about a foot from my Toshiba 50" TV or I can detect some picture distortion in the corners. I'll need to do something to shield a center channel.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    My Panasonic 42" Plasma shows no effect to a magnet passed over the screen. I love it . The only thing it needs is a second tuner. One for antenna the other for cable.
    Don

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.